Château des Matignon

Chateaux

This castle of the 16th and 17th centuries comprises three wings built around a main courtyard which opens to the west onto the Cour aux Canons.

Located at Torigni-sur-Vire, the ancient fiefdom of two descendants of William the Conqueror, this beautiful dwelling belonged to the famous Matignon family for more than three centuries. It suffered substantial damage during the Revolution. Flanked by an armoured pavilion which was added in 1962 on its west side, the south wing is the only part to have survived post-revolutionary deterioration. In 1817, it was purchased by the municipality who, in 1840, had the east pavilion built to reestablish the architectural balance.

On 12 June 1944, after Torigni town centre was bombarded, only the four walls of the castle remained. The efforts of successive town councils to restore the castle, while not returning it to its original splendour, have ensured that it remains an impressive Historic Monument.

Today, the castle houses the council services, a meeting room and two reception rooms. The gallery on the 1st floor regularly hosts temporary exhibitions and themed displays (paintings, photographs, postcards, etc.).

Localisation : In the town centre

Visit duration : 90 min

Place Général de Gaulle

TORIGNI-SUR-VIRE

50160 TORIGNY-LES-VILLES

Show phone number

Show mail

Website

Opening period :

From 03/01/2022 till 19/12/2022

Equipments & Services

Equipments

  • Picnic area
  • Parking for families
  • Outdoor games
  • Toilets

Services

  • Play area

Pets accepted : no

Nearby